[GE users] [GE announce] Changes for a Bright Future at Oracle

templedf daniel.templeton at oracle.com
Fri Dec 24 06:06:00 GMT 2010

For the past decade, Oracle Grid Engine has been helping thousands of
customers marshal the enterprise technical computing processes at the
heart of bringing their products to market. Many customers have achieved
outstanding results
[http://www.oracle.com/us/products/database/oracle-grid-engine-197282.pdf]
with it via higher data center utilization and improved performance.
The latest release of the product provides best-in-class capabilities
for resource management including:  Hadoop integration, topology-aware
scheduling, and on-demand connectivity to the cloud.

Oracle Grid Engine has a rich history, from helping BMW Oracle Racing
prepare for the America?s Cup to helping isolate and identify the genes
associated with obesity; from analyzing and predicting the world's
financial markets to producing the digital effects for the popular Harry
Potter series of films. Since 2001, the Grid Engine open source project
has made Oracle Grid Engine functionality available for free to open
source users.  The Grid Engine open source community has grown from a
handful of users in 2001 into the strong, self-sustaining community that
it is now.

Today, we are entering a new chapter in Oracle Grid Engine?s life.
Oracle has been working with key members of the open source community to
pass on the torch for maintaining the open source code base to the Open
Grid Scheduler project hosted on SourceForge. This transition will allow
the Oracle Grid Engine engineering team to focus their efforts more
directly on enhancing the product.  In a matter of days, we will take
definitive steps in order to roll out this transition.  To ensure
on-going communication with the open source community, we will provide
the following services:

o Upon the decommissioning of the current open source site
[http://gridengine.sunsource.net/] on December 31st, 2010, we will begin
to transition the information on the open source project to Oracle
Technology Network?s home page for Oracle Grid Engine
[http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/oem/grid-engine-166852.html?ssSourceSiteId=ocomen].
This site will ultimately contain the resources currently available on
the open source site, as well as a wealth of additional product resources.

o The Oracle Grid Engine engineering team will be available to answer
questions and provide guidance regarding the open source project and
Oracle Grid Engine via online product forum
[http://forums.oracle.com/forums/forum.jspa?forumID=859]

o The Open Grid Scheduler project
[http://sourceforge.net/projects/gridscheduler/] will be continuing on
the tradition of the Grid Engine open source project.  While the Open
Grid Scheduler project will remain independent of the Oracle Grid Engine
product, the project will have the support of the Oracle team, including
making available artifacts from the original Grid Engine open source
project.

Oracle is committed to enhancing Oracle Grid Engine as a commercial
product and has an exciting road map planned.  In addition to developing
new features and functionality to continue to improve the customer
experience, we also plan to release game-changing integrations with
several other Oracle products, including Oracle Enterprise Manager and
Oracle Coherence.  Also, as Oracle's cloud strategy unfolds, we expect
that the Oracle Grid Engine product's role in the overall strategy will
continue to grow.  To discuss our general plans for the product, we
would like to invite you to join us for a live webcast on Oracle Grid
Engine?s new road map. Go here to register:
[http://www.brighttalk.com/webcast/24655]

Next Steps:

o Visit Oracle Technology Network Oracle Grid Engine center
[http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/oem/grid-engine-166852.html?ssSourceSiteId=ocomen]
to post questions or regarding open source related issues

o Contact Oracle if you wish to learn more about Oracle Grid Engine
http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/contact/global-070511.html

o Join us for a live webcast on Oracle Grid Engine?s roadmap
[http://www.brighttalk.com/webcast/24655]

Thank you to everyone in the community for their support over the last
decade and their continued support going forward!

Daniel