[GE users] Product Forum & Incubator Project

fx d.love at liverpool.ac.uk
Tue Dec 28 21:18:12 GMT 2010

templedf <daniel.templeton at oracle.com> writes:

> Why do we need yet another source code repository?  Well, the open
> source site is not really structured to facilitate wide open
> contribution and collaboration.

The Son of Grid Engine site <https://arc.liv.ac.uk/trac/SGE> is intended
to allow that (and for potential inclusion in a contrib section of the
distribution), though I haven't been able to set up the necessary spam
protection to open it up (or had time to do various other work -- offers
of help welcome).  However, it's possible to post contributions to the
ticket tracker without setting up an account, and you can contribute
under any free licence that's compatible with anything that you modify.

I'm told the site looks too parochial, so it will at least be fronted by
Sourceforge when I get a chance.

> With this new site, restrictions will be minimal, because it's
> intended to be by the community for the community.  Think of it as the
> source code corollary to Dag's gridengine.info site.

It may not be intentional, but it doesn't look that way.  Apart from the
fact that you have to set up an Oracle account?, you have to grant Oracle
a licence to exploit code or forum contributions essentially as they see
fit.  I don't necessarily want to offer that to the community (I
copyleft substantial independent works), let alone to Oracle, who aren't
sharing with the community now.  The terms of use of the site are simply
designed to benefit Oracle as far as I can see, not the community, sad
to say.

___
? I'm not happy about supplying data even as a customer, since Oracle
  don't seem bothered by data protection issues after sending another
  customer's information to me and, apparently, sending mine somewhere
  else.

--
Dave Love
AKA fx at gnu.org