[GE users] Changes for a Bright Future at Oracle

fx d.love at liverpool.ac.uk
Tue Dec 28 21:27:18 GMT 2010

templedf <daniel.templeton at oracle.com> writes:

> o Upon the decommissioning of the current open source site
> [http://gridengine.sunsource.net/] on December 31st, 2010, we will begin
> to transition the information on the open source project to Oracle
> Technology Network?s home page for Oracle Grid Engine

I hope note will be taken of the conditions under which people
contributed on sunsource.  In particular, the conditions of the Oracle
site require you to grant Oracle essentially complete rights to anything
you contribute, including even waiving moral rights.  I guess, for
instance, Reuti wouldn't be pleased not to have the right to be
identified as the author of his contributions (although I think German
law doesn't permit that).  I don't want to contribute under those
conditions (apart from not wanting to use a `forum').

> o The Oracle Grid Engine engineering team will be available to answer
> questions and provide guidance regarding the open source project and
> Oracle Grid Engine via online product forum
> [http://forums.oracle.com/forums/forum.jspa?forumID=859]

What sort of answers and guidance will be available?  I assume that
won't include, for instance, telling us how to fix bugs any more than
previously.

> o The Open Grid Scheduler project
> [http://sourceforge.net/projects/gridscheduler/] will be continuing on
> the tradition of the Grid Engine open source project.

Does that mean it's going to incorporate the repo history,
documentation, and the related projects?  I'd hope it won't continue in
the tradition of effectively discouraging contributions (other than free
support for users)...

> While the Open
> Grid Scheduler project will remain independent of the Oracle Grid Engine
> product, the project will have the support of the Oracle team, including
> making available artifacts from the original Grid Engine open source
> project.

Does that include the mail list archive, which is the only thing not
readily extracted?

--
Dave Love
AKA fx at gnu.org