[GE users] Changes for a Bright Future at Oracle

templedf daniel.templeton at oracle.com
Wed Dec 29 00:19:59 GMT 2010

On 12/28/10 01:27 PM, fx wrote:
> templedf<daniel.templeton at oracle.com>  writes:
>
>> o Upon the decommissioning of the current open source site
>> [http://gridengine.sunsource.net/] on December 31st, 2010, we will begin
>> to transition the information on the open source project to Oracle
>> Technology Network?s home page for Oracle Grid Engine
>
> I hope note will be taken of the conditions under which people
> contributed on sunsource.  In particular, the conditions of the Oracle
> site require you to grant Oracle essentially complete rights to anything
> you contribute, including even waiving moral rights.  I guess, for
> instance, Reuti wouldn't be pleased not to have the right to be
> identified as the author of his contributions (although I think German
> law doesn't permit that).  I don't want to contribute under those
> conditions (apart from not wanting to use a `forum').

We will, of course, be respectful of the rights of any contributors.

>> o The Oracle Grid Engine engineering team will be available to answer
>> questions and provide guidance regarding the open source project and
>> Oracle Grid Engine via online product forum
>> [http://forums.oracle.com/forums/forum.jspa?forumID=859]
>
> What sort of answers and guidance will be available?  I assume that
> won't include, for instance, telling us how to fix bugs any more than
> previously.

My hope is that the forum will be able to pick up where this mailing
list leaves off.  It will be the place to report issues, ask about best
practices, ask for clarifications, ask for help in general.

>> o The Open Grid Scheduler project
>> [http://sourceforge.net/projects/gridscheduler/] will be continuing on
>> the tradition of the Grid Engine open source project.
>
> Does that mean it's going to incorporate the repo history,
> documentation, and the related projects?  I'd hope it won't continue in
> the tradition of effectively discouraging contributions (other than free
> support for users)...

I can't speak for the OGS project, but all of those things are available
to them if they're interested.

>> While the Open
>> Grid Scheduler project will remain independent of the Oracle Grid Engine
>> product, the project will have the support of the Oracle team, including
>> making available artifacts from the original Grid Engine open source
>> project.
>
> Does that include the mail list archive, which is the only thing not
> readily extracted?

Yes, if they want it.  We will also make all of these resources
available to the Son of Grid Engine project, if you want them.

Daniel