[GE users] SGE-6.2u5: Slot reservation for different queues?

soyez E.Soyez at science-computing.de
Mon Jul 12 07:25:30 BST 2010

On Thu, 8 Jul 2010, reuti wrote:

> Am 08.07.2010 um 09:42 schrieb soyez:
>
>> Thanks Reuti for your reply,
>>
>> yes, max_reservation is set of course, as reservation works fine with
>> parallel jobs only.
>>
>> There are several differences between serial and parallel queue (limits
>> etc.) but the main difference are sequence numbers in opposite directions
>> in order to implement some kind of "fill up policy" for single cpu jobs,
>> whereas parallel jobs are supposed to use different nodes first.  I don't
>> know of any other way to achieve this.
>
> Fine. This is the way to go, to fill the cluster from both sides.
>
> You mean, that slots seems to be reserved from the parallel queue, but
> serial job from the other queue can always slip in?

Yes, correct.

> The total amount of slots from all queues you limited by an entry in
> the exechost definition or an RQS I assume?

Yes, exechost definitions.

By the way, I forgot to mention that users have to specify a runtime
for every job.  But according to my calculations there should have been
no backfilling for those jobs.  Do you know of any scheduling parameter
to switch off backfilling completely, that might be worth trying.

Erik Soyez.

--
Vorstand/Board of Management:
Dr. Bernd Finkbeiner, Dr. Roland Niemeier,