[GE users] SGE-6.2u5: Slot reservation for different queues?

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Mon Jul 12 21:36:30 BST 2010

Am 12.07.2010 um 08:25 schrieb soyez:

> On Thu, 8 Jul 2010, reuti wrote:
>
>> Am 08.07.2010 um 09:42 schrieb soyez:
>>
>>> Thanks Reuti for your reply,
>>>
>>> yes, max_reservation is set of course, as reservation works fine
>>> with
>>> parallel jobs only.
>>>
>>> There are several differences between serial and parallel queue
>>> (limits
>>> etc.) but the main difference are sequence numbers in opposite
>>> directions
>>> in order to implement some kind of "fill up policy" for single cpu
>>> jobs,
>>> whereas parallel jobs are supposed to use different nodes first.
>>> I don't
>>> know of any other way to achieve this.
>>
>> Fine. This is the way to go, to fill the cluster from both sides.
>>
>> You mean, that slots seems to be reserved from the parallel queue,
>> but
>> serial job from the other queue can always slip in?
>
> Yes, correct.
>
>> The total amount of slots from all queues you limited by an entry in
>> the exechost definition or an RQS I assume?
>
> Yes, exechost definitions.
>
> By the way, I forgot to mention that users have to specify a runtime
> for every job.  But according to my calculations there should have
> been
> no backfilling for those jobs.  Do you know of any scheduling
> parameter
> to switch off backfilling completely, that might be worth trying.

Was it mentioned already: which version of SGE are you running?

For me it looks working, the serial job gets in 6.2u5:

...cannot run at host...because it offers only hc:slots=0.000000 due
to a reservation

Do you use any RQS?

-- Reuti