[GE users] qsub preventing -clear (JSV)

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Wed Jul 14 14:49:13 BST 2010

Hi Frederik,

Am 14.07.2010 um 15:31 schrieb fredwag:

> On 07/14/2010 03:21 PM, reuti wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Am 14.07.2010 um 14:51 schrieb fredwag:
>>
>>> in the SGE documentation it is stated, that server side JSVs
>>> shouldn't be scripts. But what are the alternatives? Should one
>>> write a C program or is perl already o.k. (so script meaning bash
>>> or similar?).
>>
>> it's just a performance issue. Nevertheless you can use scripts - how
>> many jobs do you expect to be submitted per second? When you start
>
> not too many, it's more some like some thousands over the day (which
> _could_ come in some bulks)

then I woud suggest to start with a script and observe the load on the qmaster machine. It might also depend on the usual runtime of a job. For us jobs run usually for days, hence whether the submission takes a few seconds more or less is not an issue.

>> from scratch with e.g. a pure C program, you would need to follow the
>> exact communication protocol for a JSV, while this burden is taken
>> from you with the included libs for bash, perl, tcl and JAVA.
>>
>> When you implement the communication protocol, you can use any
>> programming language you like.
>
> I was expecting this. I was skeptic due to the docs stating only the
> support of 'script:/...'

You mean the Wiki? In the Wiki the communication protocol is listed in detail.

-- Reuti