[GE users] Forcing specification of h_rt in

prentice prentice at ias.edu
Mon Nov 8 20:10:49 GMT 2010

reuti wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 08.11.2010 um 20:26 schrieb prentice:
>
>> I need to force my users to specify h_rt when they submit jobs to
>> improve scheduling. To do this, I modified my h_rt complex like so:
>>
>> #name               shortcut   type        relop   requestable
>> consumable default  urgency
>> #------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> h_rt                h_rt       TIME        <=      FORCED      JOB
>>  0:0:0    0
>
> h_rt is not consumable. So the default "consumable no" should do.

Thanks. That fixed my problem, but leads to another one. According to
the man page for complex:

<quote>
requestable
       The  entry  can be used in a qsub(1) resource request if this
field is set to ?y? or ?yes?.  If set to ?n? or ?no? this entry cannot
be used by a user in order to request a queue or a class of queues. If
the entry  is  set  to  ?forced?  or  ?f?  the attribute has to be
requested by a job or it is rejected.
</quote>

I'm seeing different behavior. Jobs that don't request h_rt aren't being
rejected. They just stay in state 'qw' indefinitely:

$  qsub time_test.sh

(wait a few minutes)

$ qstat -u prentice
job-ID  prior   name       user         state submit/start at     queue
                         slots ja-task-ID
 555450 240.15660 time_test  prentice     qw    11/08/2010 15:03:14

This isn't good. Unsophisticated users will just keep submitting jobs
not knowing why they are in state "qw", and probably won't bother to
delete them with qdel. I see my queue filling up with jobs in the "qw"
state. Is there any way to force to reject the job outright and print
out an informational message?

--
Prentice