[GE users] occasional job failure - can't find user's home directory

jlforrest jlforrest at berkeley.edu
Wed Nov 10 18:27:02 GMT 2010

On 10/27/2010 10:44 AM, m0zes wrote:
> In all honesty, there are good reasons to use the automounter on a
> Beowulf cluster.
> For example, my file server is running OpenSolaris, each of my users'
> home directories falls on a different zfs "filesystem." (The reason
> for this is simpler snapshots and better quota management).
> Under your solution I would have to mount each of my 275 home
> directories on each of my 125 nodes on the off chance that a
> particular user is going to need access to those files on that node.
> This would create an unnecessary strain on my file server. Using
> automounter, only the users that are logged have their home
> directories mounted.

You're right - in your environment there is value
in running the automounter. But, this is what
I meant about an "unusual feature" in my initial
posting. In simpler environments where all the
user directories come from one file system,
say "/home", the automounter isn't necessary.

--
Jon Forrest
Research Computing Support
jlforrest at berkeley.edu