[GE users] help with loadsensor complexes

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Sun Nov 14 10:41:58 GMT 2010

Hi,
Am 12.11.2010 um 13:54 schrieb sgenedharvey:

> I want to prevent jobs from running on machines, if there isn't enough disk
> space in a particular directory.  I wrote a simple loadsensor script, which
> works fine.  Each machine now has a property, hl:scratchfree=whatever .
> which indicates the amount of free disk space.
>
> Problem is, I can't seem to figure out how to use it.  I created the
> complex:
> scratchfree         scratchfree       INT         <=    YES         YES
> 0        0
>
> I tried setting various settings, >=, Yes, No, some number for default, set
> priority to 1000.  I tried requesting the resource on the qsub prompt .
> can't seem to figure out the right way to use the information to prevent job
> distribution to machines without enough disk space.
>
> scratchfree is configured as a "reporting variable" in each host.
> The loadsensor is set on global, and it is running correctly for each
> machine.
>
> For example:
> qconf -se dell0307s-02 | grep report
> report_variables      scratchfree
>
> qconf -sconf global | grep sens
> load_sensor                  /path/to/scratch_loadsensor

on the one hand they can be both: a load sensor and a consumable. But in your case I think you want only to have a loas sensor, and hence the setting of "consumable YES" should be changed to "consumable NO". There is also a Howto available for exactly this use case:

http://gridengine.sunsource.net/howto/loadsensor.html

It's also not necessary to define them as "report_variable" in the exechost configurations.

-- Reuti