[GE users] consumable license complexes and preemption

jtseng_sf jtseng at sandforce.com
Mon Nov 15 23:15:10 GMT 2010

Hi Everyone,  I'm thinking of patching 6.2u5 to allow certain
consumables to be NOT counted by SGE when the job is preempted.

The reason for this is that in the case where licenses are the scarce
resource, and not machines,  SGE does not free the license consumable
when the job is suspended.  This makes for some extra "accounting" in
the flexlm load sensor scripts.

I propose that we add a new "consumable_ignore_suspended" property to
each complex.  This is similar to the "consuamble" property.

The downside of this is that the it would need to be written to the
"CULL_SPOOL" database on disk - effectively changing.

For testing I can have it be a "runtime" property - but eventually this
would need to be saved into the database.

Comments? Suggestions?

-john