[GE users] Issue with OGE Cloud Adapter resource allocation for dependent jobs holding on failed referring jobs

siddhuwarrier siddhu.warrier at cloudreach.co.uk
Wed Nov 17 12:23:29 GMT 2010

We've been trying to use the OGE Cloud Adapter with Amazon EC2, and
have it set up and working well. However, we found the following
issue:

We have two jobs, job 1 and job 2. Job 2 depends on job 1, i.e., it
has been submitted using qsub -hold_jid [job-1-id].

1.  If job 1 returns an error and goes into the E state, job 2 stays
in the hold state as expected from our understanding of the qsub
hold_jid switch.
2. However, an EC2 instance is allocated to execute job 2, which is
subsequently not used as job 2 is not executed. This obviously adds to
our cost.

We were wondering if:

1. This is a known issue. If so, would anybody be able to point us to it.

2. there is a workaround by modifying the behaviour. If so, could you
please help us out with that?

I hope I've got the right list, and look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Siddhu

--
Cloudreach Limited

Cloudreach Limited is a limited company registered in England with
registered number 06975407

The above terms reflect a potential business arrangement, are provided
solely as a basis for further discussion,
and are not intended to be and do not constitute a legally binding
obligation. No legally binding obligations
will be created, implied, or inferred until an agreement in final form
is executed in writing by all parties involved.

This email may be confidential or privileged. If you received this
communication by mistake, please don't forward
it to anyone else, please erase all copies and attachments, and please
let us know that it has gone to the wrong person.