[GE users] PE configuration for 4, 8 and new 12 core nodes

rems0 Richard.Ems at cape-horn-eng.com
Thu Nov 18 16:55:02 GMT 2010

Hi all,

This is on openSUSE 11.3 64 bit, with GE 6.2u5.
Up to now we had nodes with 4 and 8 cores.
We almost only run parallel jobs on 4, 8, 16 or any multiple of 4 slots.
We have implemented this by defining PEs with a fixed allocation number
of 4 or 8 slots.

Now we got new nodes with 12 cores and have added two new PEs, one with
an allocation rule of 12, the 2nd one with 8. Jobs using 12 or 8 cores
run fine now.

But we would also like to start on these new nodes also jobs on 16
cores, 12 on one node, 4 on a 2nd one.
Similarly we would like to start also jobs with 12 slots on the older
nodes that have 8 slots, using 8 on one node and 4 on a 2nd one.

How can this be configured?

If I understand it correctly, adding a new PE with an allocation rule 4
to each group of nodes won't work as expected, since the scheduler will
always try to fulfill a slot request using only one PE, right?

Having a new PE with an allocation rule 4 will make it work, but would
probably distribute a 12 slots job on 3 nodes, right?

Thanks for any help,
Richard

--
Richard Ems       mail: Richard.Ems at Cape-Horn-Eng.com

Cape Horn Engineering S.L.
C/ Dr. J.J. Dómine 1, 5? piso
46011 Valencia
Tel : +34 96 3242923 / Fax 924