[GE users] subordinate queues

sgenedharvey sge at nedharvey.com
Tue Nov 23 12:34:22 GMT 2010

> From: llikethat [mailto:bharanitn at yahoo.com]
>
> Can someone please explain the use case of subordinate queues. in which
> situation it plays a vital role. I read the documentation and it says it can be
> used for high priority and low priority jobs. The subordinate queue uses the
> slots as an attribute, how does this help.

To tell the truth, I've been deploying SGE for around 10 yrs now, and I don't get it either.

I write wrapper scripts around qsub anyway.  To get all the other arguments that you want standard.  So it's trivial to include job priority in the script.  And when the time comes that all the execution hosts are used, and you need to preempt some job ... Just preempt the number of individual jobs you need.  Why on earth preempt the whole queue?

In 6.2u5, there's the new feature, 'slotwise preemption' which allows individual jobs of subordinate queues to be preempted.  I just don't get why you would want to set things up this way, instead of preempting jobs by their jobid.  It seems to me, that with slotwise preemption, you can finally come close to the same level of functionality.