[SGE-discuss] virtual_free consumable resource

Dave Love d.love at liverpool.ac.uk
Tue Jan 4 11:53:36 GMT 2011

Julie Ashworth <julie.ashworth at berkeley.edu> writes:

> I want to create a consumable resource for virtual_free,
> but I receive the error:
> attribute "virtual_free" is not a memory value

I don't know exactly why, but see below.

> The global virtual_free config was made consumable:
> # qconf -sc | egrep "#name|virtual_free"
> #name               shortcut   type        relop requestable consumable default  urgency
> virtual_free        vf         MEMORY      <=    YES         YES        0        0

OK.

> and I ran a for loop for the exec hosts (named nx1,nx2...nx8):
> qconf -mattr exechost complex_values mem_free=92G nx$i
> qconf -mattr exechost complex_values virtual_free=92G nx$i

Don't do that.  virtual_free is a load value, already defined for the
host, varying dynamically.  (Which could be considered confusing.)  I
guess you want to -dattr the complex from each host now.

Note that virtual_free is only useful as advice to SGE where to place a
job, unlike h_vmem -- you can still exhaust it on a node.

Reuti discussed this sort of thing on the sunsource gridengine list at
least once (no surprise).  If you want to find that, there are URLs for
incomplete archives of the list under
https://arc.liv.ac.uk/trac/SGE#History which you can use now that the
sunsource archives aren't accessible, but I'm not sure how easy they are
to search.  I'll provide a searchable archive at least back to 2006 when
I get the chance.