[SGE-discuss] suspend threshold ping-pong

Stella Levin stella_levin2003 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 2 10:29:50 BST 2011

Hi sge-discuss group,
we defined

suspend_thresholds mt_mem_swap_io=1
and
mt_mem_swap_io=1 when "writing to swap" happens ("so" column of vmstat)
We experience "ping-pong" behavior with suspend - continue of jobs.
The job starts to write to swap and it is suspended, after the suspension no other jobs writing to swap and within suspend_interval the job is continued... and suspended again and continued again.

Sometimes we cannot predict exactly the size of the job, and they start to swap.

- Is it possible to continue the job with different threshold conditions, for example there is a free memory on the host for the job, or something similar
- Other options to solve the problem ?

Thanks a lot.

Stella