[GE users] Job dependency and job_name

Ron Chen ron_chen_123 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 8 02:13:58 BST 2004

--- Iwona Sakrejda <isakrejda at lbl.gov> wrote:
> This SGE "list" is a problem for me, because after
> the job is
> done it still lingers on the list (and you can see
> it with
> the -s z option of qstat). If I submit the next job
> with the
> same name and then try to submit a third one that
> would
> depend on that name I get a message:

Actually, the sge_conf(5) manpage says that:

finished_jobs
     Grid Engine stores a certain number of just
     finished jobs to provide  post  mortem  status
     information. The finished_jobs parameter defines
     the number of finshed jobs  being  stored.
     If  this  maximum  number is reached, the eldest
     finshed job will be discarded for every  now  job

     being  added  to  the finshed job list.

     Changing finished_jobs  will  take  immediate
     effect.   The default for finished_jobs is 0.

     This value is a global configuration parameter
     only. It cannot  be  overwritten  by the
execution
     host local configuration.

But it does look like that SGE needs more time to
garbage collect the finished jobs.

 -Ron