[GE users] Does SGE work with IBM/Rational ClearCase ?

Beadles, Jeff jeff_beadles at mentorg.com
Thu Apr 15 04:22:12 BST 2004

We use SGE with clearcase all of the time.  It works like a charm, as long as you have registered all of your vobs and views into a common region that your grid exec hosts use.  Take a look at the how-to on clearcase on the open source website.

We don't use SGE to do compiles though, and don't use clearmake in our grid environment.

For what it's worth, I think that there are better ways to distribute compiles across systems rather than via SGE.  SGE is too heavy-weight of a process, and doesn't provide the controls that would be needed to ensure a reproducible build.  (for example, with the default SGE installation, you only know what the arch is for a system, and not things like which compiler(s) are installed, at what patchlevel, what system libraries, etc...)

  -Jeff

  _____