[GE users] Does SGE work with IBM/Rational ClearCase ?

Andy Schwierskott andy.schwierskott at sun.com
Thu Apr 15 10:25:49 BST 2004

Jeff,

> We use SGE with clearcase all of the time.  It works like a charm, as long
> as you have registered all of your vobs and views into a common region
> that your grid exec hosts use.  Take a look at the how-to on clearcase on
> the open source website.
>
> We don't use SGE to do compiles though, and don't use clearmake in our
> grid environment.
>
> For what it's worth, I think that there are better ways to distribute
> compiles across systems rather than via SGE.  SGE is too heavy-weight of a
> process, and doesn't provide the controls that would be needed to ensure a
> reproducible build.  (for example, with the default SGE installation, you
> only know what the arch is for a system, and not things like which
> compiler(s) are installed, at what patchlevel, what system libraries,
> etc...)

I have a question about your statement "is too heavy-weight of a process".
Do you think the overhead comes from the fact that SGE spawns a new qrsh
connection for each make target? Do you think that if SGE kept open a qrsh
connection to a host for multiple make targets the overhead would become
acceptable? Or are there other reasons (apart from the software and patch
issues) why you find SGE too heavyweight for compile runs?

Andy

>   _____

Regards,
Mit freundlichen Gruessen,
Andy
Schwierskott

Andy Schwierskott           Tel:     +49 941 3075-200  (x60200)
Sun Grid Engine Engineering Support: +49 941 3075-250  (x60250)
Sun Microsystems GmbH       Fax:     +49 941 3075-222  (x60222)
Dr.-Leo-Ritter-Str. 7       mailto:andy.schwierskott at sun.com
D-93049 Regensburg          http://www.sun.com/gridware