[GE users] My SGE and ClearCase issue

T.J. Yang tj_yang at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 15 13:30:51 BST 2004

Goal:  To deploy a grid environment to improve machines' ROI in a clearcase
developement
         environment.
Pilot/Setup:
      1. We were able to set up SGE demo grid farm using Soarlis,HP-UX and
RH Linux machines.
      2. We are interested on how qmake distribute task in a makefile to
other execution
          hosts.
          For a platform independent makefile we were able to see best case
          optimization. ie, five indepent subtasks in a makefile, each
subtask sleep 60 seconds.
          We can get 65 seconds instead of 5 minutes if we submit  the jobs
to SGE and specify
          using 5 CPUs.
       3. We are interested to see qmake improve build time of  a
clearcase's makefile by
          finding out the independent tasks in makefile and distribute it to
other ccase enabled
          SGE execution host.

Issue:  We ran a pilot test on a real ccase compillation job on SGE using
qmake or clearmake.
          the compilation are the same around 3 hours. We observed the SGE
didn't
          dispatch the independent tasks onto other host when we specify
using
          2 machines to do the compilation. This is could be caused by  my
inexperience of SGE
          or ClearCase knowledge.

Questions:
      1. Can  SGE's qmake to dispatch independent subtasks in a clearcase
makefile
          to other clearcase-enabled SGE execution hosts ?
      2. Is there a company doing SGE techinical support in software
compilation area ?