[GE users] Day/night/weekend?

John Hearns john.hearns at clustervision.com
Thu Apr 22 13:05:31 BST 2004

I've been asked to set up queues which have different maximum running
times. Split into three: 07:00 to 19:00, 19:00-07:00 and Weekends.

As I see it, I can set up three different queues on each host,
short-day (1 min max), short-night (12 hours max) , short-weekend (48
hours max) and use calendaring to
switch each into a suspended state when not running.

An alternative might be to have one short queue,
then have a script in a cron job alter the time limits at 09:00 etc.

I'm leaning towards solution 1 at the moment.
I guess in the second scenario if someone kicks off a 48 hour long job
at the weekend it will still be running on Monday daytime,
which is probably not what is desired.

Anybody got ideas on which is a cleaner way to do things?