[GE users] Need Assistance with a couple of problems

Boyd McKee Mickey Kamer mickey.kamer at optdatainc.com
Fri Apr 30 17:16:18 BST 2004

John,

Thanks for the reply.

I am looking at using SGE as a batch queuing system only. (No need for the
clustering feature. I like the idea of a shadow host however for backup just
in case one system should fail.)

CRON is supposed to be able to do this, but when running DB2 commands from a
shell script and the DB2 instance user, CRON still runs as root. I even put
in the set environments for the instance user with in the script but CRON
wants control. Also, if I need to have a backup before a batch job runs I
would want a dependency setup so that the batch job would not process until
the backup was completed. Now CRON doesn't give me the ability to
re-schedule or fail any other jobs as you know they'll just kick off when
they are scheduled.

I know CRON is a great tool but not full featured enough to do batch
processing.

Am I looking at SGE as the wrong thing here?
Is it capable of doing what I am asking it to do?
If not what tool would you suggest I try?

I appreciate your responses and hope you'll still offer advice.

Mickey