[GE users] SGE6 and priorities

John Coldrick jc at axyzfx.com
Tue Aug 3 20:28:30 BST 2004

	In previous versions, we used priority extensively and dynamically as a way
to allow any given task to jump ahead of another.  It was fast and easy.
Things have changed with SGE6 - throughout the docs I see repeated references
to "priority allows the user to change priority *within their own jobs*".
This infers that if I'm running a series of jobs, someone else could set
their priority to +1000 and still not jump ahead of me because it only
applies relatively to their own jobs.  Practical experimentation seems to
indicate this *isn't* true, though - I can change it on the fly and
regardless of who you are, multiple user's jobs can jump ahead or fall behind
as before.

	Am I misunderstanding the docs?  I know there's a lot more flexibility in
there now, but all we really need for now is the ability to say "job X is pri
= -20, job Y is pri = -10.   Y will run before X".  Should we continue to use
the -p setting as before?  I'd like to avoid having to manage whole new
layers of this.

	Also, there's now a delay - a job first submitted will remain with a priority
of zero until "processed", and then is assigned a positive floating point
value between zero and one - which doesn't jive with the priority settings of
+-1024.  This is confusing...seems that these should have different names if
they are in fact different measurements...

	Cheers,

	J.C.

Houdini/Renderman/Discreet                           425 Adelaide St W
416-504-0425                                         Toronto, ON Canada
The rule on staying alive as a forcaster is to give 'em a number or
give 'em a date, but never give 'em both at once.
                -- Jane Bryant Quinn