[GE users] [#2] SGE6 Submitting Jobs

Rory_Savage.consultant at peoplesoft.com Rory_Savage.consultant at peoplesoft.com
Wed Aug 4 13:33:44 BST 2004

Hello,

    I am fairly new to GE, and I am trying to see if it can do something
which I feel is faily simple.   I have a three node cluster:  hal-n1,
hal-n2, hal-n3 (whereas hal-n1 is the sge-master).  I want to be able to
submit vmware jobs to hal-n1, and to have each new and additional jobs
start-up on hal-n2, and hal-n3.  Vmware is locally installed and configured
on every node, and can execute manually via a script file I called
master2.sh.
vmaster2.sh exports the DISPLAY variable back to hal-n1, so you can run the
console off hal-n1 - so it doesn't matter if vmware is running from hal-n1,
hal-n2, or hal-n3, they are all displaying on hal-n1.

Manually if I want to run three instances of Vmware I do this from hal-n1:

hal-n1#  /root/scripts/vmaster2.sh
hal-n1# ssh hal-n2 /root/scripts/vmaster2.sh
hal-n1# ssh hal-n3 /root/scripts/vmaster2.sh

But I would like GE to run "/root/scripts/vmaster2.sh" on which ever node
is "free" .. so that in the end, I will be able to start adding more and
more vmware machines, and GE will launch each new process on the node with
the best enviornment.

BTW - I am doing all of this from QMON++

Please Advise!!!

Thanks!!!

--
Rory Savage