[GE users] [#2] SGE6 Submitting Jobs

Rory_Savage.consultant at peoplesoft.com Rory_Savage.consultant at peoplesoft.com
Wed Aug 4 21:35:33 BST 2004

Shannon,

    Where do I define "slots=1" and "qtype includes INTERACTIVE" ?

   Thanks!

--
Rory Savage

                      "Shannon V.
                      Davidson"                To:       users at gridengine.sunsource.net
                      <svdavidson at swbel        cc:       (bcc: Rory Savage/Consultant/PeopleSoft)
                      l.net>                   Subject:  Re: [GE users] [#2] SGE6 Submitting Jobs

                      08/04/2004 09:30
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      users

Rory,

Try the following:
   1. Install GE on hal-n1 (qmaster+exec-host), hal-n2 (exec-host), and
      hal-n3 (exec-host)
   2. Make sure the all.q queue is configured with slots=1 and the qtype
      includes INTERACTIVE
   3. Configure qrsh to use ssh -
      http://gridengine.sunsource.net/project/gridengine/howto/qrsh_ssh.html
   4. Use qrsh to submit your Vmware script
            # . <sge_root>/default/common/settings.sh
            # qrsh /root/scripts/vmaster2.sh
            # qrsh /root/scripts/vmaster2.sh
            # qrsh /root/scripts/vmaster2.sh

If you want the qrsh command to wait until a node is free, take a look at
-now n qrsh(1) option.

Cheers,
Shannon

Rory_Savage.consultant at peoplesoft.com wrote:
      Hello,

          I am fairly new to GE, and I am trying to see if it can do
      something
      which I feel is faily simple.   I have a three node cluster:  hal-n1,
      hal-n2, hal-n3 (whereas hal-n1 is the sge-master).  I want to be able
      submit vmware jobs to hal-n1, and to have each new and additional
      jobs
      start-up on hal-n2, and hal-n3.  Vmware is locally installed and
      configured
      on every node, and can execute manually via a script file I called
      master2.sh.
      vmaster2.sh exports the DISPLAY variable back to hal-n1, so you can
      run the
      console off hal-n1 - so it doesn't matter if vmware is running from
      hal-n1,
      hal-n2, or hal-n3, they are all displaying on hal-n1.

      Manually if I want to run three instances of Vmware I do this from
      hal-n1:

      hal-n1#  /root/scripts/vmaster2.sh
      hal-n1# ssh hal-n2 /root/scripts/vmaster2.sh
      hal-n1# ssh hal-n3 /root/scripts/vmaster2.sh

      But I would like GE to run "/root/scripts/vmaster2.sh" on which ever
      node
      is "free" .. so that in the end, I will be able to start adding more
      and
      more vmware machines, and GE will launch each new process on the node
      with
      the best enviornment.

      BTW - I am doing all of this from QMON++

      Please Advise!!!

      Thanks!!!

      --
      Rory Savage