[GE users] grid engine and non-grid engine use of cluster (Q:)

Sean Dilda agrajag at dragaera.net
Mon Aug 9 19:09:42 BST 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-09 at 09:18, m.r.schaferkotter wrote:
> greetings:
> in our cluster environment, some folks use grid engine to run jobs and
> some don/t.
> those who don/t usually ssh to a machine and run the jobs.
>
> my question is:
> is either group of users being penalized by the way the machines are
> being used?
>
> qstat doesn/t seem to reflect the use by the non-grid using folks.

qstat only recognizes jobs sent through SGE.

Users who use ssh directly may be penalized if the node they ssh into
happens to be running someone's else's job already.  And the person
running the original job would be penalized as well, because someone is
chewing up the CPU time when they should really be using a different
node.

There are also several cases where all nodes are full, and someone
decides to ssh in and start their job on an already loaded node.  This
hurts both people.  However, its also possible that if the ssh'er waited
for a node to be free, his job would finish sooner than if he started on
an already loaded node.

For these reasons, its best if everyone go through SGE to run their
jobs.  If someone needs interactive access to one of the compute nodes,
they should use qrsh or qlogin.