[GE users] grid engine and non-grid engine use of cluster (Q:)

Wee Yeh Tan weeyeh at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 09:34:33 BST 2004

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 08:18:22 -0500, m. r. schaferkotter
<schaferk at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> in our cluster environment, some folks use grid engine to run jobs and
> some don/t.
> those who don/t usually ssh to a machine and run the jobs.

My site runs in pretty much the same mode but we do not allow users to
affects jobs submitted through SGE.  Instead, we seperate the cluster
into nodes accessible thru SSH (ad-hoc nodes) vs nodes accessible only
via SGE.  The ad-hoc nodes allows users to work more interactively
(write programs, run test cases, debug, ...) whereas they are
encouraged to submit their jobs into the latter class of nodes if they
want to run it for a long time.

We are pretty nasty.  On the ad-hoc nodes, we stop old jobs on their
third day on the system and slow them down after sufficient CPU
cycles.

> my question is:
> is either group of users being penalized by the way the machines are
> being used?

Yes but you probably want to penalize those adhoc users more than the SGE users.

> what is the rationale for everyone using the grid?

On our site, we want better control over the use of the cluster and we
are achieving that through SGE.

--
Just me,
Wire ...