[GE users] jobs never die on nodes with mpich

Bogdan Costescu bogdan.costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Fri Aug 13 08:16:18 BST 2004

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004, Reuti wrote:

> who will set the process group of a new command/bash?

It's not a process group, it's an additional group, see 'man
setgroups'. This is done in libs/uti/sge_set_uid_gid.c, which is
called from the shepherd.

> How will any of them know, that a new bash was created (forked)?

That's the idea of this additional group. As only root can set it,
it's not possible to evade from it. So when processes have to be
killed, all those that are part of the same additional group are
targeted. (SGE sets a different additional group per job).

> Should the process group id be inherited from the starting process, i.e.
> qrsh_starter?

I think that there is also a new session, which implies a new process
group, created by the shepherd.

--
Bogdan Costescu

Telephone: +49 6221 54 8869, Telefax: +49 6221 54 8868