[GE users] AW: [GE dev] Load sensor scripts

Olesen, Mark Mark.Olesen at arvinmeritor.com
Tue Aug 17 10:23:29 BST 2004

>    When we add load sensor scripts to the global
> cluster configuration and create a complex attribute
> for it as well, How can we retrieve the value of this
> attribute? Moreover when the script is added to the
> global cluster configuration where will the script be
> run? WIll it be on the sge_master machine? or can the
> sge_master instruct all the sge_execs to run the
> script and use the data returned by them to generate
> the final effective load value?

I've redirected the response to the USERS mailing lists, since the question
is not really a development issue.

The load sensor in the global configuration is run by *all* execd's.
If you wish to run the load sensor on the qmaster, you need to install a
queue instance on the qmaster machine. You could, for example, have a queue
instance with zero slots on the qmaster.  This would ensure that no jobs run
on the qmaster, but a loadsensor will.

How the values are reported is documented in sge_exed(8).

Within the loadsensor, you can differentiate between qmaster and normal
execd with something like the following:

   if [ "$UQHOST" = "$qmaster" ]; then
      issue_some_global_report
   fi

You can query the return values via 'qstat -F' ... provided, of course, that
you have defined the complexes!

/mark

Dr. Mark Olesen
Thermofluid Dynamics Analyst