AW: [GE users] Requiring remote_fs startup in sgeexecd

Andy Schwierskott andy.schwierskott at sun.com
Tue Aug 17 12:59:59 BST 2004

Hi,

I have a question about the "Required-Start:" line:

What happens if a service which is listed there and which begins with a "$"
sign does not exist at all on that system?

For instance for the 5.3 startup script, "afs" was a hard requirement -
certainly most sites didn't have anything installed with AFS but this
obviously was no problem for most of the time. A few months ago we had the
first reports that on some Linux distribution the "afs" requirement caused a
failure of the startup script installation.

I want to be sure that we do not run into the same problems when now adding
new services with the $-notation.

Any experience? Will your suggestion work on "old" Linux distributions which
run 2.2 kernels, e.g. Suse 7.2, RH 7.2 ...?

Andy

>> 	Just a double check - but on SUSE 9.1 I needed to edit
> /etc/init.d/sgeexecd
>> to contain the line:
>>
>> # Required-Start: $network $remote_fs
>>
>> 	where the SGE6 distribution was missing the $remote_fs.  I've found
> it needs
>> this because all our mounts are over NFS.  I'm just mentioning this
> because I
>> remember hearing a new release is imminent.
>
> I went a bit further and made sure that a few other services are available.
> I also added the 'Should-Start' to insure the correct start order.
>
> # Provides:       sgeexecd
> # Required-Start: $network $portmap $remote_fs $time
> # Required-Stop:
> # Should-Start: sgemaster
>

> I've also re-worked the init scripts to support the 'restart' action,
> cleanup on execd stopping etc., but I won't disturb the timeline for the
> next patch by submitting these changes (or change requests) now.
>
> Cheers,
> /mark
>
> Dr. Mark Olesen
> Thermofluid Dynamics Analyst
> ArvinMeritor Light Vehicle Systems
> Zeuna Staerker GmbH & Co. KG
> Biberbachstr. 9
> D-86154 Augsburg, GERMANY
> tel: +49 (821) 4103 - 862
> fax: +49 (821) 4103 - 7862
> Mark.Olesen at ArvinMeritor.com

Regards,
Mit freundlichen Gruessen,
Andy
Schwierskott

Andy Schwierskott           Tel:     +49 941 3075-200  (x60200)
N1 Grid Engine Engineering  Support: +49 941 3075-250  (x60250)
Sun Microsystems GmbH       Fax:     +49 941 3075-222  (x60222)
Dr.-Leo-Ritter-Str. 7       mailto:andy.schwierskott at sun.com
D-93049 Regensburg          http://www.sun.com/gridware