AW: AW: [GE users] Requiring remote_fs startup in sgeexecd

Olesen, Mark Mark.Olesen at arvinmeritor.com
Tue Aug 17 13:57:50 BST 2004

Andy,

Yes, I think that you are correct in your reservations.
As far as I can gather from /etc/init.d/skeleton (SuSE),
we should likely be using 'Should-Start' for many things.

As an example, with 'Required-Start: foobar' I receive the following error:

insserv foo
insserv: Service foobar has to be enabled for service foo
insserv: exiting now!

Whereas 'Should-Start: baz' exhibits no problems.

BTW: I found the reason jobs weren't starting (a too quick installation
resulted in AFS being partially on :( -- I'm now back into pre-production!

/mark

Dr. Mark Olesen
Thermofluid Dynamics Analyst
ArvinMeritor Light Vehicle Systems
Zeuna Staerker GmbH & Co. KG
Biberbachstr. 9
D-86154 Augsburg, GERMANY
tel: +49 (821) 4103 - 862
fax: +49 (821) 4103 - 7862
Mark.Olesen at ArvinMeritor.com

#
# Any extensions to the keywords given above should be preceeded by
# X-VendorTag- (X-UnitedLinux- for us) according to LSB.
#
# Notes on Required-Start/X-UnitedLinux-Should-Start:
# * There are two different issues that are solved by Required-Start
#    and X-UnitedLinux-Should-Start
# (a) Hard dependencies: This is used by the runlevel editor to determine
#     which services absolutely need to be started to make the start of
#     this service make sense. Example: nfsserver should have
#     Required-Start: portmap
#     Also, required services are started before the dependent ones.
#     The runlevel editor will warn about such missing hard dependencies
#     and suggest enabling. During system startup, you may expect an error,
#     if the dependency is not fulfilled.
# (b) Specifying the init script ordering, not real (hard) dependencies.
#     This is needed by insserv to determine which service should be
#     started first (and at a later stage what services can be started
#     in parallel). The tag X-UnitedLinux-Should-Start: is used for this.
#     It tells, that if a service is available, it should be started
#     before. If not, never mind.
# * When specifying hard dependencies or ordering requirements, you can
#   use names of services (contents of their Provides: section)
#   or pseudo names starting with a $. The following ones are available
#   according to LSB (1.1):
#	$local_fs		all local file systems are mounted
#				(most services should need this!)
#	$remote_fs		all remote file systems are mounted
#				(note that /usr may be remote, so
#				 many services should Require this!)
#	$syslog			system logging facility up
#	$network		low level networking (eth card, ...)
#	$named			hostname resolution available
#	$netdaemons		all network daemons are running
#   The $netdaemons pseudo service has been removed in LSB 1.2.
#   For now, we still offer it for backward compatibility.
#   These are new (LSB 1.2):
#	$time			the system time has been set correctly
#	$portmap		SunRPC portmapping service available
#   UnitedLinux extensions:
#	$ALL			indicates that a script should be inserted
#				at the end
# * The services specified in the stop tags
#   (Required-Stop/X-UnitedLinux-Should-Stop)
#   specify which services need to be still running when this service
#   is shut down. Often the entries there are just copies or a subset
#   from the respective start tag.