[GE users] Using more than one qrsh -inherit parallel on the same host

Thomas Neumann neumann at exasol.com
Fri Aug 20 14:45:18 BST 2004

Hello !

I'm just trying to use the grid engine to run jobs with more than one
parallel process on each node. If I use qrsh -inherit for the first time
sending the process to the background on any machine everything works
nice. But using the same machine for another command, I only receive the
message 'error: executing task for job xxx failed:' .

Simple example of what I'm trying to do:
qrsh -inherit host1 sleep 60 &
qrsh -inherit host1 hostname

This example has the same behaviour as my problem, but the problem
itself is more difficult, so that I can't use a shellscipt containing
all commands and sending it as a single task to the destination host.

Reading about the error I found that I have to increase the gid-range,
but increasing the range from 100 gids to 1000 gids did't change
anything and I did't find any limits to the number of qrsh commands I
can use parallely.
Is there a way to start processes like this without installing a special
client on the destination host ?

Thanks
    Thomas