[GE users] Using more than one qrsh -inherit parallel on the same host

Bogdan Costescu bogdan.costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Fri Aug 20 16:21:27 BST 2004

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004, Thomas Neumann wrote:

> Now I'm looking for a way to influence the number of slots on each
> machine.

I don't think that you can do that.

> What I need is for example 16 slots on 4 machines.

OK, but how do you split the 16 slots on the 4 machines ? This is done
by SGE according to the allocation policy of the PE (f.e. $fill_up).

> but I didn't find a rule how to allocate them.

There is no rule, everything is dynamical. For each machine, SGE knows
the maximum number of slots, how many slots are in use and the load;
based on this data and the PE allocation policy, SGE will allocate for
the job a number of slots on a number of machines.

--
Bogdan Costescu

Telephone: +49 6221 54 8869, Telefax: +49 6221 54 8868