[GE users] Calendar not working in Grid Engine 6.0 Update1 ?

Andreas Doerr Andreas.Doerr at Sun.COM
Tue Aug 24 17:51:16 BST 2004

Alexandre,

> [barras at catleya ~]$ qconf -scal toto
> calendar_name    toto
> year             NONE
> week             mon-fri=10:00-10:01=suspended
> mon-fri=10:02-10:03=suspended \
>                  mon-fri=10:04-10:05=suspended mon-fri=10:06-10:07=suspended

I could confirm that the above calendar configuration does not work as expected.

Our current calendar implementation is simply not able to handle a resolution
of one minute in a reliable way. With the above timings the suspended and
unsuspended time periods simply blur.

I guess a minimal time period of five minutes for each calendar imposed state
change is a sure bet. So the following should work as expected:

week mon-fri=10:00-10:05=suspended mon-fri=10:10-10:15=suspended \
     mon-fri=10:20-10:25=suspended mon-fri=10:30-10:35=suspended

This limitation is effective for successive state changes only.

I will investigate what exactly causes this implementation artefact and whether
we could get rid of it with justifiable effort. At least, we may want to document
this restriction.

This may take so time though. Thank you very much for calling our attention!

Cheers,
Andreas D.