[GE users] Scheduler info after the fact?

Beth Meyer beth at wildbrain.com
Wed Aug 25 17:50:07 BST 2004

Is there a way to determine, after a job has finished, why it was given
a certain priority? I've set up a very simple system that uses the
priority flag (-p) in combination with the share tree to schedule jobs.
There are essentially 3 projects, projectA and projectB each have a 40%
share, while projectC has a 20% share.  Jobs are submitted with a
priority of 90,60,30, or -10.

What I expected was that all jobs submitted with a priority of 90 would
run, then all jobs with a priority of 60, then 30, then -10. Within each
individual priority band, I expected that jobs would sort according to
the share tree.  This mostly works, except that one job from projectA
with a priority of 40 was scheduled before 2 jobs from projectC that had
a priority of 60. 2 other jobs from projectA that also had a priority of
40 ran after the priority 60 projects from projectB.

I would like to know how much the share tree and priority contributed to
the scheduling order of these particular jobs, so I can make adjustments
where needed.  The Policy Importance Factor is set to Priority = 1,
urgency = .0 and tickets = .01, there are 1000 share tree tickets, and
no override or functional tickets. I am using SGEEE 6.0u1

Beth