[GE users] Scheduler info after the fact?

Thu Aug 26 08:36:47 BST 2004

Beth Meyer wrote:

> Is there a way to determine, after a job has finished, why it was
> given a certain priority? I've set up a very simple system that uses
> the priority flag (-p) in combination with the share tree to schedule
> jobs. There are essentially 3 projects, projectA and projectB each
> have a 40% share, while projectC has a 20% share.  Jobs are submitted
> with a priority of 90,60,30, or -10.
>
> What I expected was that all jobs submitted with a priority of 90
> would run, then all jobs with a priority of 60, then 30, then -10.
> Within each individual priority band, I expected that jobs would sort
> according to the share tree.  This mostly works, except that one job
> from projectA with a priority of 40 was scheduled before 2 jobs from
> projectC that had a priority of 60. 2 other jobs from projectA that
> also had a priority of 40 ran after the priority 60 projects from
> projectB.

Hm... my assumption is,
that projectC exceeded its usage shares. The share tree takes the job
usage into account for making its decision. Assuming that
much more jobs of projcetC ran, that its 20%, the share tree would start
promoting the other two projects a lot. What you see, might
be the fact, that the share tree managed to move a job from its band to
a higher band. But than.. with your weighting factors, I do not
see, how that could happen.

What was your your distribution?

Cheers,
Stephan