[GE users] Upper bound for array jobs?

Andy Schwierskott andy.schwierskott at sun.com
Fri Aug 27 14:06:45 BST 2004

Bernard,

> Sorry for not being clear, what I wanted to ask was what's the upper
> bound that SGE can handle (not whether I can limit it).
>
> Our problem right now is being outlined here:
>
> http://gridengine.sunsource.net/servlets/ReadMsg?msgId=20558&lsistName=u
> sers

I'm getting an error message when trying this URL - not sure if it's
temporary.

> It seems that when there are large amounts of job in the queue, commd
> simply gets stuck and the program becomes irresponsive.  There have been
> various comments in the mailing-list about commd issues, I wonder if
> they are somewhat related?
>
> Previously I was using 5.3p5 but we have already updated to 5.3p6 - the
> problem still persists.

The size of array jobs should not at all influence the commd. The protocol
between qmaster and execd does not depend whether this is an array job or
not.

Having 26,000 jobs in the system or having an array job with  26,000
tasks should not matter. Are you experiencing any problems

I remember thaere have been reports on the mailing list which indicate that
there are problems related to array jobs - however so far we were not able
to reproduce such problems. We'd need some description how to reproduce the
problem - otherwise it will be quite difficult to look into that problem.

Could you do any tests with 6.0(u1) - do you experience the same array job
problems?

Andy

> Thanks,
>
> Bernard

Regards,
Mit freundlichen Gruessen,
Andy
Schwierskott

Andy Schwierskott           Tel:     +49 941 3075-200  (x60200)
N1 Grid Engine Engineering  Support: +49 941 3075-250  (x60250)
Sun Microsystems GmbH       Fax:     +49 941 3075-222  (x60222)
Dr.-Leo-Ritter-Str. 7       mailto:andy.schwierskott at sun.com
D-93049 Regensburg          http://www.sun.com/gridware