[GE users] Problems submitting with fixed allocation rule

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Tue Aug 31 14:50:47 BST 2004

Hi,

Sean Dilda wrote:

>On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 04:41, Thomas Neumann wrote:
>

>>Slots 999
>>Users SGEAdmins
>>XUsers None
>>Start Proc Args /bin/true
>>Stop Prog Args /bin/true
>>Allocation Rule 4
>>Urgency Slots min
>>Control Slaves true (I also tried false)
>>Job is first task true (I also tried false)
>>

>I would suspect your allocation rule.  I've never been happy with
>results when I set it to an number.  I've seen weird problems like this
>when I do that.  Rather, I like to set it to '$fill_up'.  I've been
>pretty happy with the results then.

for us the fixed allocation rule is working fine (with 1 and 2 in our
cluster).

 > Increasing the slots does not work. I checked all privileges for
users, projects, etc., but there are no differences between the machines
in the cluster. For testing the
 > pe I decreased the slots of bash4 to 3 slots on each machine and the
job started imediately.

What do you mean with "on each machine", because you set the allocation
rule in the PE - can you post more details about your setup?

When the submitted jobs started immediately after decreasing the slots
to 3, it sounds like you requested 3 slots for bash4. The allocation
rule is fixed, and you can only request multiple of 4 with bash4 as
total slots.

CU - Reuti