[GE users] np_load_avg and thresholds

Shannon V. Davidson svdavidson at swbell.net
Tue Aug 31 22:48:14 BST 2004

Setting num_proc in the execution host's complex_values seems to work
for me:

$ qhost
HOSTNAME                ARCH         NCPU  LOAD  MEMTOT  MEMUSE  SWAPTO
SWAPUS
global                  -               -     -       -       -
-       -
appro                   lx24-amd64   2.00  0.99    1.9G  163.4M
1.9G     0.0
pogo                    lx24-x86     2.00  0.32    2.0G  351.9M
3.9G   70.7M

$ qconf -mattr exechost complex_values num_proc=1 appro

$ qhost
HOSTNAME                ARCH         NCPU  LOAD  MEMTOT  MEMUSE  SWAPTO
SWAPUS
global                  -               -     -       -       -
-       -
appro                   lx24-amd64   1.00  0.99    1.9G  163.2M
1.9G     0.0
pogo                    lx24-x86     2.00  0.25    2.0G  353.7M
3.9G   70.7M

Cheers,
Shannon

Jay Lessert wrote:

>>'real' CPUs in your SGE config.
>>

>>>This is apart of an old thread on processor counts, xeon processors
>>>and the number of slots.  How do I set the processor count for an
>>>individual host?
>>>

>I saw the same old thread you did, read the docs, and came to the
>conclusion that according to the docs, you CANNOT edit num_proc
>or processors.  The host_conf(5) man page is pretty explicit about
>this, I'd be happy to hear otherwise.
>
>I've got a small bank of dual-Xeon Sun V60x's I just installed.  I
>wound up just doing:
>
>    qconf -rattr queue load_thresholds load_short=1.50 $list_of_v60x_queues
>    qconf -mattr queue slots 2 $list_of_v60x_queues
>
>...in my post-install script.
>
>I did leave HT off (BIOS setting) on one of the boxes.  Turns out I
>like that better, anyway.  For my job mix (VCS, Spectre, Nanosim,
>DC/PC/Astro) these boxes behave better with load_avg=2.0 if HT is
>off. (This is RHEL3, stock 2.4.21-4.ELsmp kernel.)
>
>So after tapeout when I get a chance I'll disable HT on all of 'em,
>and the problem goes away.

Shannon V. Davidson <svdavidson at swbell.net>
Senior Software Engineer           Raytheon
636-479-7465 office        443-383-0331 fax