[GE users] SGE 6.0, starving?

Christian Bolliger christian.bolliger at id.unizh.ch
Mon Jul 5 13:22:04 BST 2004

Hi

Problem:
We use the SGEEE 5.3 on a 512 processor Opteron cluster (256 procs with
myrinet).
There is a problem for users submitting jobs demanding a bigger number
of processors ( >= 64).
Since smaller jobs are processed whenever enough ressources are free
(e.g. 32 procs), the bigger
jobs will never get a chance to be processed even if they have the much
higher priority.

As I learned from this list (Mail from Graham Wilson 24 Jul 2003) there
is no starving available in SGEEE 5.3

Question:
Is starving available in SGE 6.0 (we will migrate anyway)? Or do you
know another solution for this problem?

Many thanks for any suggestions or hints.

Christian Bolliger

Christian Bolliger
IT Services                      | http://www.id.unizh.ch/
Central Systems / Biocomputing   | http://www.bio.unizh.ch/
University of  Zuerich           | E-Mail:
christian.bolliger at id.unizh.ch
Winterthurerstr. 190             | Tel: +41 (0)1 63 56775
CH-8057 Zuerich; Switzerland     | Fax: +41 (0)1 63 54505
Mime/S CA:                https://www.ca.unizh.ch/client/