[GE users] Question! DNS configuration chnage

Andy Schwierskott andy.schwierskott at sun.com
Mon Jul 5 14:47:39 BST 2004

Hi,

> IHAC who use SGE with DNS service.
> they wish to turn off the name service on sge and change it to just host
> name file.
> can we change this name configuration of sge with dinamically?

No, this is not possible. There's seems to be no Unix interface to only use
selected name services per application. This is always system wide
controlled by /etc/nsswitch.conf (or equivalent files on some OS'es).

There's only one execption - through the resolver library it's possible to
directly use the DNS server, however this is not integrated with the
standars gethostbynname/addr functions call and requires extra programmatic
efforts to be used in an application.

Andy