[GE users] installing exec host hangs at start of sge_commd

Einar Blaberg einar.blaberg at chl.chalmers.se
Tue Jul 6 21:19:56 BST 2004

- Don Shesnicky (dshesnicky at enqsemi.com) [040706 22:07]:

> So I've straightened out the hostname and /etc/hosts file, pulled the
> 6.0
> binaries and started installing. Now the sge_qmaster daemon is failing.
> The startup script hangs for awhile but I think that's just because it's
> checking to see if it starts up. If I run the sge_qmaster from the
> command
>
>    starting sge_qmaster
> start cmd: /tools/sge/6.0/bin/lx24-x86/sge_qmaster
> ---> checking for sge_qmaster
> ---> ps -efww | grep sge_qmaster
> root     14344 14286  0 15:50 pts/8    00:00:00 grep sge_qmaster
> masterhost: canter.enqsemi.com
>
> sge_qmaster didn't start!
> Please check the messages file
>
>    starting sge_schedd
> error: getting configuration: unable to contact qmaster using port 536
> on host "canter.enqsemi.com"
> error: can't get configuration from qmaster -- backgrounding
>
> Don

Try setting sge_qmaster (and sge_execd?) to ports above 1024 (edit /etc/services
or set $SGE_QMASTER_PORT). There is a bug with sge 6.0 on redhat linux and ports
below 1024, this bug is fixed in CVS but I think it still exists in the binary
distribution.

http://gridengine.sunsource.net/unbranded-source/browse/~checkout~/gridengine/Changelog?rev=1.2086.2.9&content-type=text/plain
CR-2004-06-18-0: Bugfix:    o sge_qmaster will not start unless run only as
                              "root"
                            o qmaster cannot bind port below 1024 on Linux
                 Changed:   qmaster
                 Issue:     1096, 1098
                 Bugtraq:   5063987

--
Chalmers Lindholmen University College, Computer Service
Einar Blaberg,  Phone: 031-7725903, Fax: 031-7725910