[GE users] install_execd: no SGE_QMASTER_PORT or "sge_qmaster"

Jmail jmail at valleyserve.com
Wed Jul 7 21:41:46 BST 2004

I am trying to install SGE6.0. install_qmaster installed fine on master computer
and install_execd installed fine on same machine.

install_execd does not work on other machines. The hostnames of the machines I'm
running install_execd on show up when I run qconf -sh.
ex:
qconf -sh
host124
host125
host120 (master)

The problem arrives at the "Checking hostname resolving" page:
===========================
Checking hostname resolving
---------------------------

Cannot contact qmaster. The command failed:

   ./bin/sol-sparc64/qconf -sh

The error message was:

   error: could not get environment variable SGE_QMASTER_PORT or service
"sge_qmaster"

You can fix the problem now or abort the installation procedure.

Contact qmaster again (y/n) ('n' will abort) [y] >>

I followed the manual's installation instruction, including putting sge_qmaster
on port 536 and sge_execd on port 537 in /etc/services of the master computer.
What can I do to fix it?

I'm running Solaris 8.

Thanks,
Sam