Re(3): [GE users] install_execd: no SGE_QMASTER_PORT or "sge_qmaster"

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Wed Jul 7 22:19:30 BST 2004

>The entries need to be in /etc/services on all machines unless you are
>getting that info propagated via NIS or NIS+ etc.
>
>If all else fails set an environment variable SGE_QMASTER_PORT=536
>before running the sge_execd installation process.

I found it not really necessary (at least under Linux), to install the execd on
all the nodes. If you already setup an execd on the qmaster node, and share the
$SGE_ROOT via NFS, you can simply startup the execd on all the nodes.

The port numbers will be placed hardwired in the sgemaster/sgeexecd scripts,
when you chose to enter them by hand, instead of any NIS(+) or /etc/services
facilities.

It's then also possible from the qmaster with rsh/ssh to start the execd, like:

for i in node00 node01 node02; do
    ssh $i /usr/sge/default/common/sgeexecd start
done

(Or you can create the link-entries in init.d/rc3.d to start/stop the execd on
the nodes by hand.)

- Reuti