[GE users] number of CPUs limit per user

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Wed Jul 7 22:31:43 BST 2004

>How can I limit the number of CPUs available per user?
>
>We simply can't limit the number of jobs since some users run parallel
>codes whereas others are limited to single processors.

I had a similar problem: how to limit the number of CPU per parallel job. The
agreement was, to have a limit of 8. So I put these lines in the start script
of the PE:

#
# Test the number of slots we got. It's more than 8 then kill yourself.
#

if [ "$NSLOTS" -gt 8 ] ; then
    echo
    echo "*** Maximum number of CPUs exceeded. ***"
    echo
    . /usr/CODINE/default/common/settings.sh
    qdel $JOB_ID
fi

Yes, it's hard for the users. First to wait, and then get their jobs killed.
But they did it only one time to request more CPUs ;-)

I don't know whether, this is an idea for your problem (you can put it also in
a prolog).

- Reuti