[GE users] LAM & SGE

Bogdan Costescu bogdan.costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Sat Jul 10 23:18:21 BST 2004

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004, Alexandre Barras wrote:

> I did not find on Internet any way to configure LAM within SGE
> without changing the LAM boot schema and qrsh-lam.

The point of the existing integration (which changes boot schema and
needs qrsh-lam) is to "hide" from the use the lamboot/lamhalt steps. I
think that this is desired from two reasons:

1. from the admin point of view, as a way to enforce booting on all
the nodes, to avoid asking for 8 slots when the batch script will then
only boot on 4 of them
2. from the user point of view, as a simplification of the batch
script, to avoid mistakes (like not knowing where the host file is,
syntax errors or probably much more often - forgetting the lamboot
step before mpirun, which will make the script which potentially
waited lots of time in the queue terminate in a few seconds).

As an exageration, you can even get rid of the {start|stop}_proc_args
scripts as part of the PE definition and do the same actions inside
the batch script, either in clear or hiden with something like:

. /gridware/sge/mpi/startlam.sh		# which includes a function...
startlam				# ... that we now call

But I think that this is counter-intuitive and goes against the ideas
of more control (for the admin) and easyness (for the user).

--
Bogdan Costescu

Telephone: +49 6221 54 8869, Telefax: +49 6221 54 8868