[GE users] SGE-6.0: Segmentation Fault: "inst_sge -m -x -auto inst.conf"

Marco Donauer Marco.Donauer at Sun.COM
Thu Jul 15 09:19:02 BST 2004

Erik,

I found a already filed bug concerning the infinite loop.
So the problem is not on your site.
This will be fixed in the next update.

But the seg fault is new. Did you already try to start the adminrun
binary on commandline?
You can start it like that.

adminrun erik ls

But do not forget to source the settings.csh file before.
If you still get a seg fault it is possible that your pre binaries are
buggy.

Is it possible for you to try the lastest binaries?
Could you send me a dbx output of adminrun?

I guess, that the autoinst starts the adminrun with a argument and so
the seg fault happens,
because during the interactive inst the adminrun command is also in use,
which is working without
any problem, isn't it?

Regards,
Marco

Erik Soyez wrote:
> Marco,
>
> none of these setups work:

> root # chown -R root $SGE_ROOT
> root # ./inst_sge -m -x -auto ./inst.conf
>  -> INFINITE LOOP:
>
> + '[' false = false ']'
> + :
> + ./utilbin/lx24-x86/infotext -u '\nChoosing a Grid Engine admin user name'
> + ./utilbin/lx24-x86/infotext -n '\nPlease enter a valid user name >> '
> ++ Enter ''
> ++ '[' true = true ']'
> ++ /bin/echo -e
> + INP=
> + '[' '' '!=' '' ']'

> root # chown -R erik $SGE_ROOT
> root # ./inst_sge -m -x -auto ./inst.conf
>  -> SEGMENTATION FAULT:
>
> + ./utilbin/lx24-x86/adminrun erik ./utilbin/lx24-x86/spooldefaults configuration /tmp/configuration
> ./inst_sge: line 328: 13003 Segmentation fault      $SGE_UTILBIN/adminrun $ADMINUSER $*

> root # chown -R root $SGE_ROOT
> erik # ./inst_sge -m -x -auto ./inst.conf
>  -> NOTHING HAPPENS (Permission-Problems?)

> root # chown -R erik $SGE_ROOT
> erik # ./inst_sge -m -x -auto ./inst.conf
>  -> SEGMENTAION FAULT
>
> + ./utilbin/lx24-x86/adminrun erik ./utilbin/lx24-x86/spooldefaults
> configuration /tmp/configuration
> ./inst_sge: line 328: 15147 Segmentation fault      $SGE_UTILBIN/adminrun $ADMINUSER $*
>

> No matter to whom the directory/binaries belong or who calls the
> inst_sge script, I always get the segmentation fault - if I don't get
> stuck in the infinite loop before....  is there a workaround?  Or might
> that be because of the 6.0pre binaries?
>
> :-|Erik.
>

> On Wed, 14 Jul 2004, Marco Donauer wrote:
>

>>Hi Erik,
>>
>>this is a missing point within the autoinstallation.
>>The autoinst config file and the autoinst procedure doesn't recognize
>>the admin user.
>>This will be fixed in the next update.
>>
>>What version of sge do you use? It looks like a pre or a beta version.
>>
>>Who is the owner of the binaries?
>>It should work, if you chown the binaries and the complete directory to
>>the adminuser
>>and start again as user root.
>>If this doesn't solve the problem, it must be any other reason, but your
>>debug output looks like
>>the know problem.
>>
>>The infinite loop appears because the adminuser variable is empty and
>>the script permanently tries to
>>get the adminuser name. This is a known bug. If not I will file one!
>>
>>The segmentation fault is caused during bootstrapfile reading. This file
>>contains the name of the adminuser.
>>In case of an empty adminuser section the spoolinit binary will seg fault.
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Marco
>

> --

Marco Donauer            Tel: +49 941 3075-211  (x60211)
Software Engineer        Fax: +49 941 3075-222  (x60222)
Sun Microsystems GmbH
Dr.-Leo-Ritter-Str. 7    mailto:marco.donauer at sun.com
D-93049 Regensburg       http://www.sun.com/gridware