[GE users] queue priorities?

Patrice Seyed apseyed at bu.edu
Thu Jul 15 15:54:41 BST 2004

Hey Chris,

I found the subordinate queueing mechanism to be useful, but its an slightly
awkward setup when you've got dual cpu machines (unless you have a "queue"
associated with each cpu in every system).

For example let's say you have an fast queue (2:00 rt restr. hard and soft)
and regular queue for each node, where regular is a subordinate to fast
queue with the suspend level is one job. You then can have the scenerio
where when a job goes into the fast queue, two jobs in the regular queue may
be suspended. If the suspend level is two jobs, then you can have the
scenerio where 3 jobs running on dual cpu machine, 2 on the regular queue
and 1 in the fast (until a second job in the fast queue suspends the two
regular queue jobs). The latter is preferred to get more out of the system
but not completely streamline in the "subordinate" queueing method (but
still not bad at all).

-Patrice