[GE users] queue priorities?

Charu Chaubal Charu.Chaubal at Sun.COM
Fri Jul 16 00:03:08 BST 2004

Hi Don,

Stephan has already described the way to implement different priority
jobs by defining new boolean resources and attaching them to different
queues.

However, your desire to have some "leakage" of medium and low priority
jobs can be handled automatically through another policy: the
waiting-time weight.  By setting this to a non-zero value, it assures
that, the longer a job remains pending, the higher the priority that it
gets.  This automatically ensures that no job gets "forgotten" but
that, eventually, the job will have sufficiently high priority to go
next.  This in effect implements a "trickle-job" policy such as you
want.

Regards,
	Charu

On Jul 15, 2004, at 8:04 AM, Don Shesnicky wrote:

> Chris/Stephan,
> Thank you very much for your replies, I've printed them out and after
> peeking, poking and doing some more reading I'm going to give some
> ideas
> a try. Right now I'm trying to setup a subordinate queue where the
> submissions
> to the high priority queue will suspend the normal priority.
>
> The need in this case is for one group within our company where we are
> involved in chip design. The normal priority queue will be for run of
> the
> mill digital verification jobs but there can be a need to run a high
> priority
> job that is a rush and certain users will be given the right to enter
> jobs in
> this queue. In addition we would like a low priority queue where
> certain
> back
> ground tasks can slowly work their way through the system and may in
> fact have
> hosts in the queue that the others do not. In any case we would in some
> way
> like at least some of the low and normal priority queues to work their
> way
> through the system - some small leakage if you will.
>
> Don

# Charu V. Chaubal				# Phone: (650) 786-7672 (x87672)
# Grid Computing Technologist	# Fax:   (650) 786-4591
# Sun Microsystems, Inc.			# Email: charu.chaubal at sun.com