[GE users] RedHat/Fedora firewall issue (failed receiving gdi request)

Vladimir vlists at veus.hr
Mon Jul 19 20:50:58 BST 2004

I am posting this in the hope that other people won't have to go through
this. We have an automated Fedora installation that sets up RH firewall
that allows only SSH connections into the host. As a result SGE won't
start producing following error message

# /etc/init.d/rcsge start
starting sge_execd
starting program: /net/sge/current/bin/lx24-amd64/sge_commd
using service "sge_commd"
bound to port 536
error: getting configuration: failed receiving gdi request
error: can't get configuration from qmaster -- backgrounding

If you have similar configuration  you either need to disable the
firewall ie.

/sbin/chkconfig iptables off
/etc/init.d/iptables stop

or add sge_commd port ie. port 536 as the allowable port by modifying
file /etc/sysconfig/iptables and adding following line

-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 536 -j
ACCEPT

just above

-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-host-prohibited
COMMIT

Vladimir